The Ronald McDonald House of Charlottesville provides low cost lodging and a home-like atmosphere for pediatric patients 18 and under and/or their families who come to the University of Virginia Children’s Hospital or Martha Jefferson for treatment not available in their home location.
What information do I need to know about planning my stay at the Ronald McDonald House?
As of mid September, the Ronald McDonald House of Charlottesville has temporarily moved to a dorm during the completion of our full house renovation. Our new location is Courtenay Dorm, 794 Alderman Rd, Charlottesville VA 22903. Please call the House at 1-800-443-2292 if you would like to be placed on the waiting list (see waiting-list-policy) for a room, or to cancel or change an existing reservation. Before a reservation is made from the waiting list we require the following items: 1) a referral to confirm the patient’s appointment, treatment, or surgery must be made by hospital personnel from the hospital floor, unit, clinic, or department where the patient will be seen 2) an Application for Admission must be completed and e-mailed, faxed, mailed, or brought to us by check in. An applications can be accessed through this website by clicking on the link below, or we would be happy to email one to you. Check-in is between 1PM and 9PM daily. The House is secure 24 hours a day, although after checking in, families may come and go as they like. The House also provides 24-hour-a-day staffing, seven days a week. Families and patients are welcome to tour the House during office hours before making a reservation request.
What does Ronald McDonald House of Charlottesville have available?
- Each family has a private bedroom
- Each family shares a bathroom with other families
- Each family has a shelf in the pantry
- Bed and bath linens are provided
- Cribs are available upon request
- TV located in the common area
- Parking is provided across the street from the Dorm
- No air conditioning
- Smoking is not allowed in the House. Smoking areas are provided outside.
What does it cost to stay at the Ronald McDonald House of Charlottesville?
Pediatric families are asked pay a fee of $15 per night per room to cover a small part of the cost of providing supplies for your stay. However, if families cannot afford even that, the fee can be reduced or waived. If the patient has Virginia Medicaid, please talk to the staff to determine payment. Bring the patient’s current Medicaid card for evaluation by House staff.
Is Transportation available?
A free UVA bus service runs between the hospital and the House each day. Please speak with a member of Staff for further information regarding transportation.
- Before arriving at the House, please read our House policies (see Policy Book For RMHC-C at Courtenay) so you understand House expectations.
- On your day of arrival, you must check in between 1PM and 9PM.
- All adults staying in the House must bring a photo ID to present at check in.
- You must complete our Application for Admission (see link above).
- If your plans change in any way, you must call the House to advise us.
For further information, please call us at (434) 295-1885.