The Ronald McDonald House of Charlottesville provides low cost lodging and a home-like atmosphere for pediatric patients 18 and under and/or their families who come to the University of Virginia Children’s Hospital or Martha Jefferson for treatment not available in their home location.
What information do I need to know about planning my stay at the Ronald McDonald House?
Please call the House at 1-800-443-2292 if you would like to be placed on the waiting list (see waiting-list-policy) for a room, or to cancel or change an existing reservation. Before a reservation is made from the waiting list, a referral to confirm the patient’s appointment, treatment, or surgery must be made by hospital personnel from the hospital floor, unit, clinic, or department where the patient will be seen. Check-in is between 1PM and 9PM daily. The House is secure 24 hours a day, although after checking in, families may come and go as they like. The House also provides 24-hour-a-day staffing, seven days a week. Families and patients are welcome to tour the House during office hours before making a reservation request.
What does Ronald McDonald House of Charlottesville offer?
- Each family has a private bedroom
- Each family shares a bathroom with another family
- Each family has a shelf in the kitchen’s refrigerator and pantry
- Bed and bath linens are provided
- Cribs are available upon request
- TVs are in the kitchen and basement playroom
- Parking is provided in front of the House
- An elevator and specially equipped bathrooms accommodate children in wheelchairs
- Smoking is not allowed in the House. Smoking areas are provided outside.
What does it cost to stay at the Ronald McDonald House of Charlottesville?
Pediatric families are asked pay a fee of $15 per night per room to cover a small part of the cost of providing supplies for your stay. However, if families cannot afford even that, the fee can be reduced or waived. If the patient has Virginia Medicaid, please talk to the staff to determine payment. Bring the patient’s current Medicaid card for evaluation by House staff.
Is Transportation available?
A free shuttle service runs between the hospital and the House from 6 AM to 10 PM each day. Please speak with a member of Staff for make alternate arrangements for transportation to/from the hospital from 10 PM to 6 AM.
What do I need to do before coming to stay at the Ronald McDonald House of Charlottesville?
- Before arriving at the House, please read our House policies (see Policy book April 2013) so you understand House expectations.
- On your day of arrival, you must check in between 1PM and 9PM.
- All adults staying in the House must bring a photo ID to present at check in.
- If your plans change in any way, you must call the House to advise us.
For further information, please call us at (434) 295-1885.